December 13, 2013
ZOO Lights Safari
December 13, 14, 20, 21, 22 & 23
6:00pm – 9:00pm
Zoo Lights Safari has been canceled for Saturday and Sunday due to weather but the event is still on for Friday and Monday!
Celebrate the holiday season and create a new family tradition admiring the sparkling lights and brilliant hues at the Amarillo Zoo’s ZOO Lights Safari. We’ve decked the halls, trees, bushes and everything but the animals with holiday lights to bring you the brightest wildlights display ever! For 6 fabulous nights the Zoo will share the spirit and sounds of the season. Stroll the zoo grounds sipping some hot chocolate while listening or joining in with guest caroling groups. Can’t make it to the North Pole? Do the next best thing and visit Santa and Mrs. Claus when they make a special stop at the Zoo each night during the event. The Zoo elves will be busy helping our young visitors make a special bird treat for our feathered friends. Parents may shop the special “zootique” gift area to pick up a special animal related plush toy, book, jewlery or toy for that special someone.
Zoo Lights Safari is a sure way to beat those holiday bah hum bugs!
Schedule of Activities
Nightly – Holiday lights, Santa and Mrs. Claus, Santa Elves Craft Area, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Snow Ball the Polar Bear handing our candy canes, Zootique gift shop, Guest carolling groups, hot chocolate, apple cider and s’mores!
Nightly readings of the classic children’s story “T’was a Night Before Chirstmas”
at 7:00 pm
December 13 – Meaghan Collier – KAMR
December 14 – Jackie Kingston – KAMR
December 20 – Alexandra Stone – KAMR
December 23 – Meredith Keller – KVII
Free with General Admission to the Zoo
$3 Senior (62 and up)
$2 Children (3-12)
Age 2 and under Free
October 25, 2013
BOO at the Zoo!
There’s no safer or more exciting way for families with children of all ages to enjoy Halloween!
Friday, October 25 and Saturday, October 26, 2013
5:30pm – 9:00pm both nights
Sunday, October 27, 2013
Noon – 5:00pm
Looking for an “un-BOO-lievably” wild way to celebrate Halloween? Then make plans to join the animals for an evening of not-so-scary, high-spirited Halloween fun at the Amarillo Zoo’s BOO at the Zoo. Costumed kids and their families will have a howling good time encountering costumed characters on the walkways and thrills & chills seeing the Creepy Crawley Critters that they will encounter. Make sure to check out the “Stomp and Chomp” animal enrichments when lions, tigers, monkeys and lemurs get to play with their pumpkins filled with treats. Kids are guaranteed to have a “ZOO-pernatural” time with over 20 treat stations located throughout the Zoo. Bring your family and friends for big fun at Boo at the Zoo!
Help us stay green by bringing your own trick or treat bag to fill with candy and other treats!
BOO at the Zoo highlights include:
- Over 20 treat stations featuring costumed animal characters such as the lion, tiger, kangaroo, fox, bear, panther, Little Red Riding Hood, Little Bo Peep, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland and more!
- Monsterific kids music with Andy Chase Cundiff.
- Pumpkin STOMP and CHOMP enrichment activities for the lions, lemurs, monkeys and donkeys.
- The “Bone Yard” featuring touchable skulls and other bones.
- See the world’s largest species of toad – the size of a dinner plate, hairy tarantulas, flesh-eating beetles and more creatures that make you say YUCK!
- Visit the GROSSology lab – if you have the stomach for it!
- Take a turn at the Squeal of Fortune – Harry Potter fans will get their chance to try a “Bertie Bott’s All Flavor Jelly Beans” like barf, stinky socks, grass clippings, snot or skunk spray!
- Face Painting by Amadazzle (extra fee applies).
- Visit Jack and plant your very own bean stalk to take home.
- Fun games like Pumpkin Putt Putt Golf, Spider Ring Toss, Batty Bat Toss, Pumpkin Bowling and more!
- Are you superstitious? Find out in superstition alley.
- View the extinct animal grave yard.
- And, for a little spooky fun – The Zoo will have a living Sasquatch on exhibit. Also known as Bigfoot – this 7’6” creature will be on exhibit only during BOO at the ZOO!Kids are encouraged to bring their own trick or treat bags.
In the spirit of Halloween, costumes are encouraged. But because this event is geared toward families with young children, we ask adults not to wear scary costumes or costumes that cover their faces.
This is one Halloween party you won’t want to miss!
The Zoo will be closing at noon on Friday and Saturday, October 25th and 26th to set up for BOO at the Zoo. The Zoo will be closed Sunday morning October 27th to prepare for BOO at the Zoo.
$5 per person
Avoid the lines – buy your BOO at the ZOO tickets in advance and come through the express entrance on the day of the event. Tickets can be purchased at the Zoo admissions booth Tuesday – Sunday from 9:30am – 5:00pm.
The Amarillo Zoo is located at NE 24th Ave and Dumas Highway inside Thompson Park.
September 28, 2013
We’re having a party!
The Amarillo Zoo’s three African lions Solomon, Sheba and Sarai all turn 8 years old this month and we are throwing them a party!
We promise you’ll have a ROARING good time!!
* Watch the lion’s open their very own birthday presents at 10:30am
* Learn about lion’s in a fun trivia true and false activity
* Sign and leave a note on a lion size birthday card
* Make your very own lions mask
* Hang out with our costumed lion mascot and his friends
* Live music with Andy Chase Cundiff
* Enjoy a tasty treat courtesy of the Great American Cookies