April 30, 2015
Critter De Mayo
A fun family event with a Mexican holiday twist!
Saturday, May 2, 2015
9:30am – 3:00pm
Come out to the zoo on Saturday, May 2nd and enjoy a fun family event with a Mexican holiday twist! Listen to the lively music from Mariachi De Amarillo band from 1:00 until 3:00 pm or listen to bilingual keeper chats and even learn some Spanish names for some of the animals. Kids can make a fun take home craft and even help plant some Mexican hat seeds in our butterfly habitat garden.
Also, the zoo’s animals will get into the festivities with several species treated to special piñata enrichments. Enrichment items are food or objects that help to stimulate, engage and challenge animals for their social and psychological well being. Zookeepers will present piñatas filled with treats to animals throughout the day including the African Lions, Spider Monkeys and Ring-tailed Lemurs.
Plus, a special encounter area will feature reptiles, amphibians, birds and small mammals native to Central and South America. These are animals from the zoo’s educational animal collection and are not usually on exhibit. You get a chance to see a toad the size of a dinner plate, colorful parrots, chinchillas, tarantulas, boas and other unique animals from south of the border.
$4 adult (ages 13-61)
$3 Seniors (ages 62 and up)
$2 children (ages 3-12)
Free for children 2 and under and AZS members.
Amarillo Zoo is located at NE 24th Ave and Dumas Highway inside Thompson Park.
April 25, 2015
Saturday, April 25, 2015
1:00pm – 4:00pm
The Amarillo Zoo in collaboration with area animal rescue and care organizations will host an event “Meet Your Best Friend at the Zoo” on Saturday, April 25 from 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Dogs and cats will be available looking for that forever home plus exhibits on pet health care, equine rescue, pet resources plus activities on making pet enrichment toys!
Over 20 booths will be set up to teach people about responsible pet ownership and several groups will have animals that are ready for their “furever” home. Organizations that will be participating in this event include:
- Girl Scout Troop #5130
- Panhandle Paws of Hope
- Texas Panhandle Good Dogs
- WTAMU Pre-Vet Club
- Texas Panhandle Pet Savers
- Heaven’s Rainbow Bridge
- Freedom Fur
- Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas
- Amarillo SPCA
- Le Chateau Pet Resort
- Fur the Love of Grooming
- Willow Creek Kennels
- Panhandle Safe Hayven Equine Rescue, Inc.
- Noah’s Ark Veterinary Hospital
- Amarillo- Panhandle Humane Society
- Charla’s Cuddly Cuts
- City of Amarillo Animal Management & Welfare
- Harmony Horse Equestrian Center, LLC
- Dove Creek Ranch and Equine Rescue
- Red Cross
The Amarillo Zoo will also have stations set up to teach people enriching your pets at home, keeping house cats in the house, and about the dangers of exotic pet ownership and introduced species, including an up-close look at some creatures that do not make good pets!
General admission applies for entry into the Zoo. Some booths will be set up outside the Zoo entrance and there is no charge to visit the organizations set up outside.
For the safety of other visitors and Zoo animals, please leave your companion animals at home! Only certified service animals are allowed to enter the Zoo.
April 4, 2015
Saturday, April 4, 2015
9:30 am – 3:00 pm
Hop on over to the Amarillo Zoo for our sixth annual Easter EGG-citement event. This annual event offers kids a chance to explore the Zoo and receive candy-filled Easter eggs from one of our costumed characters. Share the day with the costumed characters like Bugs Bunny, Kangaroo, Hummingbird and other spring time animal friends. Plus, take a photo with our guest of honor- the Easter Bunny! Plant a carrot seed garden to take home to plant in your backyard garden, pet one of our cuddly bunnies at Bunnyville. Other event highlights include:
- Bunny Trail EggVenture – Jump, hop and bounce from one “eggsploration station” to the next at this spring event! Bunny Trail EggVenture is filled with all kinds of fun! Pick up a special “passport” to embark on a quest to gather colorful candy-filled eggs from one of many costumed characters. Safari-goers will get their passport punched at each egg station as they discover fun facts about our animals. At the end of the search, kids can trade in their passports for a surprise. There are no traditional Easter egg hunts at Easter EGG-citment.
- Face painting by AmaDazzle (extra fee applies).
- Even the Zoo animals will get in on the action with eggy-enrichments. The lions, tigers, monkeys and lemurs will be given “special egg treats” throughout the day.
- Spider Monkeys/Lemurs 10:15 am
- Lions/Tigers 11:15 am
- Bears 1:15 pm
- Kangaroo 2:15 pm
- Keep a look-out for the special GOLD eggs hidden around the zoo. Find one and redeem it for a special prize. (one per child)
- Participate in our guessing game at our egg-cellent exhibit on real animal eggs including replicas of whooping crane, golden eagle, tortoise, python and a replica egg of the Elephant Bird plus other eggs from the animal kingdom.
- Have fun at one of many special Eggy games including an egg relay, egg toss and finding colorfully wooden eggs hidden in mounds of straw.
- Kids are encouraged to bring their Easter baskets to collect goodies located throughout the Zoo.
- Live music with Andy Chase Cundiff from 11am – 1pm.
$5 per person
AZS members Free
Special thanks for our sponsorship partners – Amarillo National Bank, Burkett Outdoor Advertising, Belmar Bakery, Atmos Energy, Sonic and Amarillo Zoological Society.